Should you alternate between using a flat sheet and a fitted sheet? There have been numerous online discussions about this, and no one can seem to agree on the matter. Here in this guide, we’ll explain everything if you’re not sure what all the fuss is about.
What is a Flat Sheet?
There is no elastic at the edges of a flat sheet, also known as a top sheet. They are used as an additional layer between your body and your blanket or duvet cover. You’ll put it on top of the fitted sheet when making the bed. Using hospital corners to hold your flat bedsheet in place will prevent it from rolling to the foot of the bed or getting tangled while sleeping.
What is a Fitted Sheet?
A fitted sheet is found with an elastic band going around the edge. Your mattress’ corners are covered securely by these elastic corners. The mattress or a mattress protector can both be covered with your fitted sheet. The Deep fitted bed sheets are recommended if your mattress is particularly thick or if you use a mattress topper.
How to choose Flat and Fitted Sheets?
Fitted sheets require precise sizing to fit your bed because the fitted corners would not fit properly on an incorrectly sized mattress. For example, a double fitted sheet is required if your bed is double. If you have a thick mattress, you will need deep-fitted sheets to ensure the sheet fits properly around the mattress and remains in place. You should also consider the height of your mattress and whether you are using a mattress topper. On the other hand, there are a few more loose restrictions when using flat sheets. For a double bed, you have the option of using a flat sheet that is either queen- or king-sized.
Because your skin will be in contact with both your top and bottom sheets, it is very important to select high-quality cotton bed sheets for comfort.
Benefits of Flat Sheets:
- In the summer, using a top sheet can help your bed will feel breathable, especially if you choose a sheet material that is cooler than your comforter. Additionally, people who live in warmer climates might skip the blanket on warm evenings and use just the top sheet.
- You don’t need to wash your comforter or duvet regularly when you use top sheets. They help keep your heavier blanket more hygienic because they are positioned in between your body and your top blanket.
- Sensitive skin can be protected with a superior-top sheet. In addition to protecting easily irritated skin from synthetic materials in conventional bedding, hypoallergenic sheets are less expensive than organic comforters or duvets.
Benefits of Fitted Sheets:
- Fitted sheets keep your body off your mattress or mattress protector. They will increase the comfort and airflow of your bed.
- Because fitted sheets can be washed, using one is more hygienic than resting on a mattress that isn’t covered.
Fitted sheets are pressed tightly against your sleeping surface, which makes them less likely to wrinkle than flat sheets.